By 1890 almost half of Chicago’s Poles had settled around Ashland Avenue, Division Street and Milwaukee Avenue. Polish businesses predominated along Milwaukee Avenue in the 1920s, according to Victoria Granacki’s book Chicago’s Polish Downtown.
After World War II, the area attracted Puerto Rican and Mexican immigrants. Artists established a presence in the 1980s and 1990s, followed by young professional workers.
Polish Triangle Coalition timeline
Polish Triangle Steering Committee
Community members organize a group to advise the WPB business-services district on development priorities. A 10-page online survey and open house asks neighbors how they would change the Division-Ashland-Milwaukee intersection’s uses and aesthetics.
Placemaking at the Polish Triangle
Polish Triangle Coalition organizes
Representatives of three community groups and two local institutions meet to discuss actions to improve the Polish Triangle environment.
Polish Triangle Marketplace
The Wicker Park-Bucktown Chamber of Commerce runs a weeknight farmers’ market for commuters.
Community groups press for the city to approve Chicago’s first Transit Oriented Development.
Tuesdays at the Triangle
The coalition produces the first summer concerts at the Triangle.
Community members give preferences for a CTA Blue Line station canopy and other Polish Triangle improvements.
Polish Triangle Coalition bylaws
The coalition reorganizes as a Section 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization.
The coalition works with Chicago’s public plaza initiative in a food vendor trial run.
The coalition engages Bugaj Architects to create presentation drawings to discuss potential capital improvements with city planners.